My lower back locked up on the left side two days ago after sitting so much working on one of my papers for grad school. The muscles around that area started spasming and I was in tremendous pain. I could not find a position that would be pain-free. The only one that came close was the child’s pose from yoga. I modified it slightly and put my forehead on my hands. Go figure. Luckily with all of the mindful breathing I’ve been doing I was able to stay focused and breathe into the pain. Staying loose and not tense as I breathed really helped. I was amazed and grateful.
After a trip to the chiropractor yesterday, muscle and heat therapy along with some ibuprofen, I had a better night. I know I have to continue to be mindful and take it easy so I don’t re-injure the area that is still so weak. I go back to the chiropractor today and Monday. I’m confident it will get better and then I have to remember to take lots of walk around and stretch breaks while continuing with writing my papers.
Today I see Liz. I haven’t been to see her in a month. I’ve got a couple of items to discuss. I’m sure there will be some emotional pain that I will experience there too as I try to get to the root of them. Another opportunity to breathe with and through the pain. Thank God I was taught this practice.
- Lower Back Pain Treatment Options (answers.com)
- Heat or Cold for Chronic Muscle Pain? (everydayhealth.com)
- 17 Ways Yoga Can Ease Back Pain (undisputedlegal.wordpress.com)
- Eight Things I Learned from Pain. (elephantjournal.com)
- Heat Therapy – A Way to Help You Relieve the Pain (machinemakers.typepad.com)
- A Natural Solution To Back Pain (alliedhealthgroup.wordpress.com)